2 lbs. Kirby cucumbers
1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons pickling salt
6 garlic cloves, peeled (2 per jar)
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper per jar (3/4 teaspoons total)
1 teaspoon dill seed per jar (3 teaspoons total)
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns per jar (1 1/2 teaspoons total)
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
1. Wash and slice the cucumbers.
2. In a large saucepot, combine vinegar, water and salt. Bring to a simmer.
3. Arrange jars on counter and dole out the spices to each. Pack the cucumber slices firmly into the jars. You don't want to damage the cukes, but you do want them packed tight.
4. Pour the brine into the jar, leaving approximately ½ inch headspace.
5. Tap jars gently on countertop to dislodge any trapped air bubbles.
6. Apply lids and let jars cool. When they've returned to room temperature, place jars in refrigerator. Let them sit for at least 48 hours before eating. Source: Thekitchn.com
1 large cucumber
1 small onion
1 cup yogurt
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1. Wash and slice the cucumbers and onions.
2. Combine the yogurt and spices, mix well.
3. Mix the veggies and yogurt mix. Stir to coat all the pieces.
4. Chill for several hours to blend flavors
Fox Grape Jelly
3 ½ pounds grapes , discard stems and crush grapes
7 cups sugar
1 package fruit pectin, dry mix
Place crushed grapes in saucepan with 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Strain grape skins and seeds use 5 cups of juice. Stir pectin into juice in saucepan and bring to rolling boil. Stir in sugar quickly and return to rolling boil. Boil for one minute exactly.
3. Pour into sterilized jars, and process in canner, according to directions.
25 to 30 medium cucumbers, sliced thin
6 medium white onions, sliced thin
2 large bell peppers, sliced thin
2 cloves garlic
¼ cup salt
4 cups cider vinegar
5 cups sugar
1 ½ teaspoon turmeric
1 ½ teaspoon celery seed
2 tablespoons mustard seed
½ teaspoon cloves, in HS rec, not in DJ
Wash cukes, and cut thin as possible. Cut onions and peppers, combine with cukes and salt; let stand 3 hours; drain well. Combine vinegar, sugar and spices in large preserving kettle, bring to a boil. Add drained veggies; heat thoughly, but do not boil. Pack while hot into sterilized jars and seal at once. Makes 4 quarts.